Well we are almost there, heading down the stretch to a New Year. Many people will make resolutions, but I think it better to make the unfulfilled dreams of last year the focus of the shinning new year. Don’t look back at last year’s failures look ahead to this year’s potential.
1. For last year’s words belong to last year’s language
And next year’s words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
Source: T.S. Eliot, “Little Gidding”
2. Every man should be born again on the first day of January. Start with a fresh page. Take up one hole more in the buckle if necessary, or let down one, according to circumstances; but on the first of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take no interest in the things that were and are past.
Source: Henry Ward Beecher
3. We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.
Source: Edith Lovejoy Pierce
4. Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.
Source: Hal Borland
5. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
Source: Oprah Winfrey
6. “Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!
This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!
I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”
Source: William Arthur Ward
7. We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives… not looking for flaws, but for potential.
Source: Ellen Goodman
8. “I will seek elegance rather than luxury, refinement rather than fashion. I will seek to be worthy more than respectable, wealthy and not rich. I will study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly. I will listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with an open heart. I will bear all things cheerfully, do all things bravely await occasions and hurry never. In a word I will let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious grow up through the common.”
Source: William Ellery Channing
9. “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.”
Source: Ralph Waldo Emerson
10. One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things.
Source: John Burroughs
Related articles by Zemanta
- 7 Ways to Find Inspiration to Change Your Habits (dietriffic.com)